Monday, December 5, 2016

Famous Last Words

Again, in my previous FLW I spoke about the pressure of audition week! Audition week is so hectic; the audition itself (generals) is fine and easy. Walk in, do your two monologues, say thanks, walk out.
But this year was different, because it was my LAST general at OU!

I walked in surprised to see like EVERY faculty member, plus alumni students that I had NO idea were visiting. I played Meena from RX and Cassie from Thinner than Water. Cassie (the character) has a pretty emotional ending to her monologue, but it's more interesting to watch someone trying not to cry, rather than crying. So I felt super emotional when I finished, but then my silly mouth blurts "Thanks, it's been a really fun four years" and I start WEEPING, ugh.

Callbacks begin happening immediately on Tuesday and they never end. The FAC (Fine Arts Center) literally becomes your new home for the week if you have a lot of callbacks. I was called back for every show, which is awesome and fun, but totally draining. Callbacks are my favorite part of auditioning, because the pressure shifts a little bit more into play. That's what I'm currently working on... enjoying the magic of auditioning. Rather than thinking of it as an obligation or a "should have to" I'm trying to shift my mindset to being excited about the mystery of it all!

On Sunday the cast lists came out. I'm playing Vera in a new play called She Kills Monsters, which puts me on the main stage 3 plays in a row. I'm completely grateful, because who knows when I'll get to play on a stage like that again? The character isn't the lead, but she's non-stop comedy, which suits me well. The play takes place in both the real world and a D&D game. There's a lot of stage combat, but unfortunately my character is completely based in the real world (except at the very end where she becomes VERA, THE BEHOLDER) since I honestly have the most combat training in the cast, I'm going to talk with the fight director and see if I can slip into some of the fight action- if I don't ask I'll never know!

SO if you're going to be around next semester, check out SHE KILLS MONSTERS. It goes up around the end of March, and I promise it'll be freaking cool times.

A photo from SHE KILLS MONSTERS at the Flea Theatre, where it opened in 2011
AZcentral

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Congratulations on your upcoming role! I've always loved hearing about acting auditions since I used audition a lot for ballet performances. It sounds like Vera's comedic character is perfect for you and you'll have a lot of fun with it. I didn't realize combat training was a part of the OU curriculum, so that's pretty awesome too! Have fun with your final semester :)

    ReplyDelete