Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Reading Notes, Mahabharata Episode 6


Since I'm currently taking a course in playwriting, I had the idea to turn Satyavati's Secret into a script. These stories are such dramas, why not dramatize one? I'll specifically address Bheeshm and  Setyawati's relationship and I want to address the secrets, like how he actually has a brother, Vyas.

In my mind this is actually very contemporary, and quite a funny scene. I think the concept of a mother having to literally beg her son to sacrifice his abstience is hilarious, at least in our society. And, of course, "you have a half brother, he was before you, and actually.... he's a better poet than you'll ever be. And I got stuck with you?". Classic mom line!

Setting: Kitchen
Possible name changes? Ben/Bheeshm
                                        Sara/ Setyawati

I think that this will be a really interesting exercise in storytelling. As a playwright (I don't feel justified in referring to myself as a playwright....)

As a person who writes plays I include a lot of explicit and exact stage directions, referring to scenery, character psyche, environment, movement, etc. so for this assignment I'm going to write much more of that, so I'm still writing within the word count!


I'm learning to practice a growth mindset, which is what
inspired this concept!
Here's to a new challenge!
Google Images, carriekeeple.com



VIDEO REFERENCE: Begin at 1:00
Youtube- Mahabharata Episode 6
Epified

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the way you wrote this! from reading your introduction earlier in the year and from reading your most recent "Growth Mindset" I remember that your live pretty much revolves around the theatre. I enjoyed how you combined your passion with this assignment and told the story in a script format! It made it unique and fun to read! Great job!

    ReplyDelete