Monday, August 29, 2016

Growth Mindset

I'm elated to work on my growth mindset! I'm the type of person that gets in the way of their own growth; I build my own walls. I really connected with Carol Dweck's philosophy of "not yet". For whatever reason I am a slow learner and a slow processor. Not to say that I'm stupid, because I'm not. I'm actually quite smart, but I have to slow down and take my time to allow thoughts to flow in correct order. Because of this I really did think that I was, indeed, very very dull. When I get into a negative mindset, every part of my being shuts down. I seriously begin to believe that there's no way I could improve. I wish to be a natural at everything that I do, but that isn't realistic, so I've had to find a way to stay motivated and encouraged even when I'm not getting something right away.

My best example is stage combat.

The number one rule in combat is to be safe, okay? Safety first, second, and last... basically. But while you're being safe you still have to communicate an effective and entertaining slap to the face, punch to the gut, stomp on the foot, smacked unconscious with a chair... you know, things that just happen sometimes. So you have to be technically tight with perfected precision... but above all else you must be safe. Then comes the tiny details. Let's say you slap me across the face, left to right, and then a punch in the gut. The slap (on a scale from 1-10) is a 6, which means I must move my head first, shoulders second, and then the rest of my body follows.
 Also, I have to do the knap (the sound that follows a physical impact). Can't forget that, that's crucial. Then I need to specifically isolate and engage my upper abs, contract, and give a low audible response. Sure, okay, great.

As a beginner you make small mistakes, like punching too high or too low, not "cutting the chord", or just looking, well, a little awkward. You run into physical limitations (I really hurt my knee back in the day, so falling on my right side isn't really an option). Today I was in class and I just could not get a specific punch we were working on. My frustration was beginning to build, especially after having to sit out during the falling warmup because my body just wouldn't agree to it. Normally, I'd let it affect me, get in my way, and I'd overthink the entire process. Yet this time I took a deep breath and I said (out loud) "It'll get there, just not yet." 

That's a pretty lofty explanation for two little words, but I have a feeling that they're really going to influence my life in a powerful way.

Thanks lil cat, I needed that.
Laura Gibb's Growth Mindset Memes


 I'm really grateful that this class has an addition focus on mental health. It's a helpful way to stay in check and learn some new skills, and I feel that it's encouraging my growth as a human being. It's creating tools to allow new doors to open, to assist in breaking from mental restrain and into
freedom of mind. I am not my mind, I have a mind. With that mind I intend to create powerfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment