Tuesday, August 30, 2016

READING NOTES

I'm planning to write a story about Thataka, from her perspective.
As a writer it is most helpful for me to jot down quick thoughts and ideas, while I allow them to develop and grow internally. 
Thataka
(additional reference: Tataka's Story )
"The sage led the two princes towards a dark and fearsome jungle haunted by numerous beasts of prey, in which dwelt the terrible rakshasa woman namedThataka, mother of Maricha. She was misshapen and horrible, and continually ravaged all that country."

Setting: jungle (dark and fearsome)
What is it like to live there? What creatures inhabit there?


Characters: Rama, Lakshmana, vishvamitra 
Plot: Explain how she became misshapen and horrible. Explore the past and provide exposition (was she once beautiful and cursed?) Why is she so upset? What are her reactions to the prince's arrival? What are her reactions to being injured?
Loss of arms
Loss of ear

Give her an internal monologue when she shape shifts.



-----

I like the idea of writing from her perspective, because I always tend to play mom's in the theatre. I'm currently playing a role right now and she's an alcoholic, single mother. I feel like these characters are always monsterized (made that word up, yup), and while maybe they deserve it, there's always a story. I like to read characters one way (through the author's intent) and then I like to read that character in the way they (the character) would like to be perceived. Because, if we look through her lends, she's her own tragic hero. I'm excited to take a crack at Thataka's psyche!

No comments:

Post a Comment