Wednesday, August 24, 2016

WEEK ONE: walking in the light of my favorite place

I'm quite the roamer, so it's difficult to decide the location of my favorite place. I'm also quite untraveled, never having left the country to visit cultures unknown.

Pondering upon my favorite places I considered the streets of New York, the dusty country road, or a peaceful lake underneath a wooden deck. Then I realized that there is one aspect that would make any place my favorite.

A sunset ON a perhaps dusty street? Count me happy
Equinox Sunset- NASA
Maybe this answer is a little bit meta. But I could truly be in any place, any environment, stuck between a rock and a hard place... look up, and be immersed in a sunset. A sunset tells the story of completion, the light before the dark, maybe even symbolic of a closing door. But wow, isn't it beautiful? Doesn't it take your breath away? Give you hope? Maybe to some it's just the inevitable sun going down, but to others, to me, it's a moment of peace and beauty. It is complete.

Someday I'll have some more favorite places to explore, and I hope each one is wrapped up with a sunset.

2 comments:

  1. SUNSET: what a great way to imagine a sense of place, Cassandra! Plus, it is a very big place too because the sun setting on our horizon is all about our planet in space and where the sun is. It's where your world meets the cosmos!

    And here's something for you to ponder: the sun god Surya is a quite fascinating character in the world of Indian tradition; that might be a topic for you to pursue in the class! Here's a sneak peek: Wikipedia: Surya

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can't tell, I'm doing the extra credit where I comment on extra stuff. Sunsets being your place is great. You seem to have a great idea of it, and the way you explained it shows the emotional value. It comes off really genuine. Plus, when you travel, it will be the same sunset, from a different perspective. It's like a friend traveling with you wherever you go. I like it :)

    ReplyDelete