Sunday, September 18, 2016

FEEDBACK FOCUS




focus freely




I'm pretty used to reading out loud for class. Majority of times we are assigned a list of plays to read each week, and in effort to actually complete the list, a few classmates will get together and read the script out loud. I like reading out loud a lot, it helps me put the words into my mouth, I hear them, and therefore recall what I've read a lot easier. But I need to read the text alone as well, or else I'm apt to misreading.

I like the copy and delete technique! It reminds me of K.I.S.S (keep it simple, stupid) and the idea of Work smart, not hard.  I normally take in a story (or research) all at once, rather than bit by bit. I allow my thoughts to build and build while I read, and then I expect myself to remember everything by the end. Which, in a way works for me (since I've always worked that way), but using the copy/delete allowed me to take a chunk of ideas, pop them out, and move on. I didn't have to keep the information or ideas I was collecting because they were all right there! I think this will be really effective for me when it comes to commenting back on stories within the class. I tend to simplify what I have to say, but this technique will allow me to do that while still remaining completely discriptive.

I didn't really love the timer. I definitely see the advantage, and I think using the timer could be a good exercise for me to work with. I personally take a little bit longer to process information; I'm dyslexic so putting a timer on my process is very stressful. It makes me feel rushed, and instead of thinking of the material I'm thinking of the clock ticking and how much left I have to read and will I have time to comment and I can't think of how to phrase this sentence am I running out of time? It just doesn't work for me. I like thinking of the timer as a focus counter, though. I try to budget in bathroom breaks/ opportunities to switch focus so I don't get too bored or restless, so I think putting a timer on my breaks would be helpful. It was a good, challenging exercise that made me think too much about timed math quizzes in elementary school.



No comments:

Post a Comment