Monday, September 5, 2016

Growth Mindset #2 Playwriting

I'm currently taking playwriting, and I've been waiting to take this course since the beginning of my education! My dad used to always say that I was a good story teller, and that I should write stories (specifically like Stephen King... not sure why? I wouldn't be mad if I wrote like him). I'm not sure how or why he thought this of me. We didn't have a very good relationship, but we were very close when I was much, much younger. I think it's interesting, because we're told that so much of our personality basis stems from before the age of five. Maybe he saw that in me then?
I'm told quite often that I'm a good writer. Every now and then I'll make a long, passionate, facebook post and that's where I find myself receiving messages and comments of friends, family, sometimes strangers, encouraging me to write. I never took an honest crack at it because what if I fail? What if I'm actually not very good and that's the ugly truth? But now I'm learning that life is about failure. It's tried. It's failed. It's get up again. It's fail again. Fail better. SO here I am, finally free falling into fictional fantasy. It's definitely a huge challenge! I have to write a lot of scripts and it's like... what am I doing?! Who am I trying to be?! How do I give this person (who only exists in my head) a real voice? But I can do it. I know I can. It's just a matter of trying. And failing. And trying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment