Sunday, November 27, 2016

Learning by H.E.A.R.T- a conversation on memorization

So for this week's Learning by HEART challenge I decided to do some research on the topic. After some searching around the biggest topic everyone talks about is memorization.

Memorization is, obviously, a big deal for me. And actually, one of my biggest blocks as an actor is the idea of memorizing. I still haven't learned my trick of the trade yet when it comes to memorizing large chunks of text. Since this upcoming week is FULL of auditions, and of course I picked a new piece a week before hand, I decided to really track and try some heart technique.

The Timer- I tried giving myself 10 minutes to memorize as much as I could. This was an okay attempt, because the pressure of the timer forced to me really focus.
What I Learned- I learned that this is actually a pretty good idea! BUT it's more effective if I break down to smaller chunks. I can then make a block-by-block schedule and it gives me a decent idea of how much time I'll need to memorize.

Writing it Down- The classic "write it down" tends to trick me. While I'm writing it seems like I know it SUPER well! Then I get up to try it and there's a bunch of "ehhh" "uhhh" "um, I mean" that filter in. I've learned that writing them down on notecards (again, chunking the piece up) helps me think of the monologue as A, B, C, etc....
What I Learned- This is a nice thing for me to do before bed. I can't rely on it to get the thing done, but it's a nice way to cap the evening and feel like I've put some time into my memorization work. Can't hurt, right?

yeah, that's a real cute idea.
although, I do have some of them that do stick around...
Winter Springs Arts


The biggest thing I've learned during this exercise was the power of sleeping on it. I do my best, and I feel the most prepared, when I put in a good amount of work every day and then I have a good nights rest between them. I'm not always given this luxury, but it's good to know myself and know how I most comfortably and best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment